POTATO FEVER

Go down

POTATO FEVER

Post  Xanatos on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 am

Ok, so after days of ideas and debate, the frontrunner on what the preliminary round could be appears to be 'hot potato'. So, what are the different rules this game could have, and how long do you think the game will go for?
Xanatos
Final Round Player

Liar Game Skill : I'm good at Basketball :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: POTATO FEVER

Post  Cshuan on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 am

haha everyone figure out it was hot potato too

Cshuan
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Masquerade on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:49 am

If I were to put Hot Potato in a Liar Game context...

There's one (or more) hot potatoes designated to explode. Clearly, whoever it explodes on is eliminated... but how to make it strategic?

Let's say all the players start out with being able to hold the Hot Potato once without it exploding. They also start out with 1 vote to give to another player before the round starts. Each vote you get is how many extra turns you can hold the hot potato in that round without it exploding. (Ex: 2 players vote for me, so I can hold the Hot Potato 1+2 = 3 turns.) You may or may not choose to vote for yourself. No one is told how many turns anyone can hold the Hot Potato in that round, you will only be able to estimate based on how many votes you were supposed to get from other players.

If you are holding the Hot Potato, you choose a player to pass it to. When the Hot Potato is in your possession, you lose 1 turn of safety. Once you lose all your safe turns, the Hot Potato explodes and you're eliminated.

When a hot potato explodes on a player, the round ends. You look at how many turns that player could safely hold a Hot Potato for that round, and all players who gave a vote to the one that went boom get that many votes to hand out for the next round, while all other players get the standard 1 vote. (Ex 1: Player A goes Boom on his 4th turn, i.e. 3 rounds safe. Players B and C gave him votes that round, so for the next round, B and C get 3 votes to hand out. Ex 2: Player A goes Boom on his 2nd turn, i.e. 1 round safe only. No one gave A votes, so no one gets extra votes.)

Whoever blows up chooses who starts holding the Hot Potato. Starting the round holding the Hot Potato does not count against you.

The game continues until only 1 player remains.

...Hell, even if this isn't it, I'd still want to playtest it to see what happens! Very Happy
Masquerade
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : that certain je ne sais quoi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarahteehee3 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 pm

I think the game will be like Old maid I could go on explaining but really its self explanatory.

Think of Old maid there is the card you don't this could be related to the "potato" who ever has this at the end is out. So you have to give it to someone else or have someone else take it from you.

I will live you the rest to figure out on your own Smile
Sarahteehee3
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : hopefully something

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:57 pm

@Masquerade Interesting theory, also this, it seems this concept could be that the players lost would then become 'extras' (like in the latest Liar Game chapter) who can only vote, of course they could then sell their votes and leave with something.

Maybe this could be an extra concept that you have yet to add to your theory.

Back to top Go down

Post  Masquerade on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:19 pm

fusionblu wrote:@Masquerade Interesting theory, also this, it seems this concept could be that the players lost would then become 'extras' (like in the latest Liar Game chapter) who can only vote, of course they could then sell their votes and leave with something.

Maybe this could be an extra concept that you have yet to add to your theory.

I wouldn't really call it a "theory". I'm just throwing out a way to make Hot Potato a game you'd see in the Liar Game. I expect it to be different.

Considering there is no cash reward for winning, nor cash penalty for losing, I doubt that cash will be involved as an element. It would be worthless.
Masquerade
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:24 pm

@Masquerade Cash will be involved, but in the form of points such as the "Thousand Yen: " part of our profile. That is what would be exchanged for votes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 pm

It looks like normal Hot Potato to me, just with a bit of extra rules.

Back to top Go down

Post  BadPlayer on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:19 pm

@Masquerade (paper faces on parade):

An interesting idea for a game, but there is one fatal flaw: it can't end. Think of the total number of safety rounds everyone has. It will increase by at least X, where X is the number of players, since each player votes, each round, and then decrease by 1 for the one player who has the potato. With the number of safe rounds increasing so much, it would be very difficult to get people eliminated. Also, what happens when you get down to 2 people? They would pass the potato back and forth, but they could also increase their own count...

Anyway, here's an idea I had for a hot potato game:

Every certain period of time (perhaps 2 minutes) whoever holds the potato is out. At the start of the game, either one randomly selected player begins with the potato, or it is treated as if no one holds the potato. The players then vote for who they want the potato to be transferred to. When either all players have voted or when a certain player has a certain number of votes (I'm not sure which it would be) the player with the most votes gets the hot potato. Whenever the potato is transferred, a new voting round begins and everyone's votes reset to 0. Last man standing wins. Also, when someone is eliminated, that person chooses who the potato is transferred to.

...this doesn't involve olive branches or 100 yen coins though. If you need 5 votes to transfer the potato, that would be worked in...
BadPlayer
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Wouldn't you like to know~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Masquerade on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 am

BadPlayer wrote:@Masquerade (paper faces on parade):

An interesting idea for a game, but there is one fatal flaw: it can't end. Think of the total number of safety rounds everyone has. It will increase by at least X, where X is the number of players, since each player votes, each round, and then decrease by 1 for the one player who has the potato. With the number of safe rounds increasing so much, it would be very difficult to get people eliminated. Also, what happens when you get down to 2 people? They would pass the potato back and forth, but they could also increase their own count...

No, the votes are only until after someone explodes. The safety rounds eventually end after it's been passed enough times.

BadPlayer wrote:Anyway, here's an idea I had for a hot potato game:

Every certain period of time (perhaps 2 minutes) whoever holds the potato is out. At the start of the game, either one randomly selected player begins with the potato, or it is treated as if no one holds the potato. The players then vote for who they want the potato to be transferred to. When either all players have voted or when a certain player has a certain number of votes (I'm not sure which it would be) the player with the most votes gets the hot potato. Whenever the potato is transferred, a new voting round begins and everyone's votes reset to 0. Last man standing wins. Also, when someone is eliminated, that person chooses who the potato is transferred to.

...this doesn't involve olive branches or 100 yen coins though. If you need 5 votes to transfer the potato, that would be worked in...

How would the potato explode, or what are the consequences of transferring the potato?
Masquerade
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BadPlayer on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 am

Masquerade wrote:
BadPlayer wrote:Anyway, here's an idea I had for a hot potato game:

How would the potato explode, or what are the consequences of transferring the potato?
It would be real-time, and the potato would just automatically explode every certain amount of time (2 minutes, for example) killing whoever happens to hold it at that point. And transferring the potato just changes who is in danger of being asploded
BadPlayer
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Wouldn't you like to know~

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xanatos on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:02 am

BUMP BUMP BUMP

if dealers are out of ideas feel free to play hot potato to any of the rules players suggested (props to masq) i know we were all throughly dissapointed when it turned out that it wasnt the game in question Sad
Xanatos
Final Round Player

Liar Game Skill : I'm good at Basketball :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leronira on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Yes, because we would totally have dropped our existing game to use one that was purely speculation... that wouldn't be plagiarism or anything.

Also, topic locked. Don't you dare necropost it.
Leronira
LGT Dealer

Liar Game Skill : Simple Explainations

View user profile http://liar-game.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down