Revival Round 2 Critisism Thread, v2

Go down

Revival Round 2 Critisism Thread, v2

Post  Nearco on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:44 pm

So. Now that pistol duel is over as well, let's hear your thoughts on that?

Complaints that I have already heard:

1) Excessive randomness in the game. There is no way to tell whether your opponent is firing, reloading or covering.

Are we talking about the same game? Both players were in the chat. You had the opportunity to probe your opponent for information. The fact that you didn't use it doesn't change the fact that the opportunity was there. I know at least one player took advantage of watching his opponent's habits to attain victory.

2) Scheduling hell.

Yeah. We aren't bothering with the xat/forumchat games anymore. The idea is nice, but too prohibitive. Apologies to dysania and kiria for having their game less than 24 hours after the timetables were posted, and dysania and obko for having their game rescheduled a couple of hours before it began. Apologies to anyone who lost sleep from having their games at awkward times (Lero tried to put all of my rounds on Friday and Saturday nights. Every single one. You guys had it nice.)
Nearco
LGT Dealer

Liar Game Skill : Game Design Miracle Worker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Revival Round 2 Critisism Thread, v2

Post  Masquerade on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 am

Agreed. There is no randomness to the game if you play smart... and appointments are annoying. Plus, there's constant push-backs from players who don't want to go first. Razz

I think my one issue with the game was Pistol Duel's negative-sum aspect. Though we're given 75M, 25M of it being bonus money that isn't claimed by the LGT, you can still rack up a massive debt beyond 75M: if all of your bullets are fired at all of the covers, that's -75M in bullets plus the -50M in covers destroyed, meaning a maximum -125M total debt. Now, this would mean the opponent made 125M in total profit, since no bullets were fired (excluding the final kill shot that I don't feel like reducing from the number) and all of his covers were destroyed. So there's some element of zero-sum, but the game plays with more money than is actually put on the table by the LGT at the beginning of the game. Extra money needed to pay the opponent comes out of pocket.

In other words, I don't know if you guys realized we were really playing with 125M when you only gave us 75M on purpose, or if you messed up your maths.
Masquerade
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : that certain je ne sais quoi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xanatos on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:18 am

i had zero issues with the game, i thought it was fantastic, dont completely rule out xat/chatbox games, we can live with a little inconvenience, we're not babies. i dont think excessive randomness as a problem, there were strategies to the game, i think blaming randomness for ur loss takes away from the skill of the victor.
Xanatos
Final Round Player

Liar Game Skill : I'm good at Basketball :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nearco on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:50 pm

Masq: We did mess up the maths. I realized it part way through the second cycle of games. We could have easily gotten away with 5 mill/bullet and 2.5 mill/fire-cover interaction.

Xan:

On randomness: my thoughts exactly. In addition to the obvious element that some people obtained victory by having watched their opponents in the first game/when spectating other games, there was also plenty of planning happening behind the scenes.

On scheduling, the main reason we put these games on the forumchat/xat was mostly because these games have an upper limit on turns too high for a forum-based game. While unlikely, liar dice could go for 120 turns, and pistol duel could go for something like 90 turns. The first would take ~ 4 months, while the second would take ~ 3 months. This was obviously unacceptable.

However, the forumchat/xat games have the disadvantage of less time to interact. It was covered back in the doubt game, but if we use the pandemic game as an example, the game would be random if each round only had 1 minute. We deliberately did not put any time limit on your actions (although if we didn't see anything happening, we would check to see if you were still alive). Because of this, I was skeptical of them to begin with. And that was without taking into account scheduling problems.
Nearco
LGT Dealer

Liar Game Skill : Game Design Miracle Worker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  L on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 am

L
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill :
View user profile

Back to top Go down