Hello!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello!

Post  Andre on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Seeing as this is a sub-forum for introducing myself to you all, and this is the Liar Game, I thought it might be amusing to introduce myself by way of a game you may have heard of called "Three truths and a lie".

The conditions of this game are simple. I have produced a number of statements which each can be either true or false. One of them is a lie, and the others are true.

1. I have only ever read two manga, one of which is (obviously) Liar Game.

2. I have no compunctions about lying about personal particulars of myself on my profile page, including such details as gender, location, birthday, or hobby.

3. I managed to hack into a restricted area of a government network once, completely unintentionally (they don't know, and I put everything back when I figured it out, so no lasting harm done...).

A pleasure to meet you!

Last edited by Andre on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Andre
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Secrecy.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello!

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 am

Nice introduction and welcome to the Liar Game Forum, I hope you can have fun too ^^
Since I want to challenge you three points, I give them the Liar Percentage (how likely it is that it's false):

1. I have only ever read two manga, one of which is (obviously) Liar Game. (65%, possible, but I have my doubts since by the time I got to Liar Game, I had already been reading several other mangas by then)

2. I have no compunctions about lying about personal particulars of myself on my profile page, including such details as gender, location, birthday, or hobby. (50%, could work either way since the information seems a bit too hard to liar about, but at the same time it can all be false; no real way of being certain. Also I hope you're careful with information since all a person would need for doing fraud is usually just your full name and date of birth and can forge further information from there).

3. I managed to hack into a restricted area of a government network once, completely unintentionally. (They don't know, and I put everything back when I figured it out, so no lasting harm done...) [95%, seems very unrealistic to me, I believe hacking isn't something to can just do unintentionally and fully get away with, especially if it's done on a heavily monitored government network; besides hacking is far more technical than it's actual name which you would know if you are a genuine hacker).

Back to top Go down

Post  Noroibito on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:52 am

Ahh, I remember this game. And if i remember my own strategy...I'll pick number 2 to be the misguided one. If i am wrong then congrats you have fooled me! Wink
Noroibito
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Cooperation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xanatos on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm thinking number 3, i always left the lie till last, the telling of outrageous truths in the first 2 would often distract from the answer. if it isnt 3 i want details on what you did, sounds awesome!
Xanatos
Final Round Player

Liar Game Skill : I'm good at Basketball :)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Aheheh.
Spoiler:
Nobody has it right yet!

I will admit, there's a trick in the premise. You'll probably find it fastest by rereading the second paragraph. I'll post the real answer later today or tomorrow!

Since I want to challenge you three points, I give them the Liar Percentage (how likely it is that it's false):

...L? That you? Very Happy
Um. Seeing as there's only one false statement, shouldn't your percentages only add up to 100%?
Andre
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Andre wrote:Aheheh.
Spoiler:
Nobody has it right yet!

I will admit, there's a trick in the premise. You'll probably find it fastest by rereading the second paragraph. I'll post the real answer later today or tomorrow!

...L? That you? Very Happy
Um. Seeing as there's only one false statement, shouldn't your percentages only add up to 100%?

L: "Last time I checked, 30% was 100%, just that there's no evidence." ^^

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravenwind on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 pm

My guess is statement 0:

Andre wrote:One of them is a lie, and the others are true.

Yes, it's cheap, but you did say there was a trick invovled, and this is the Occam's Razor of tricks in this game.
Ravenwind
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Survivor Fan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pijel on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:00 pm

I think the lie is the statement that one is a lie.
EDIT: disregard.. someone posted it before me

pijel
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : ??

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  monday on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:44 pm

The third one is definitely true. Why? Because it's so outrageous, that it must be true! The first one is a lie... Very Happy

I suck at this, so I'm just guessing for fun. Thank you for making your introduction interesting, though!
monday
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Leader of the Perverts.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noroibito on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Ahh, I reread the statements. I pick the first statement instead.
Noroibito
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Ravenwind and Pijel are closest so far; however, if the statement that there is exactly one lie is false, then either there are no lies at all (which would be contradictory), or there are still other lies in my statements that you haven't found yet. Cool

In any case, there's no need to figure out the solution by trial and error. One of the statements should be obviously false, if only you notice what it implies...

Spoiler:
I might suggest counting the statements.
Andre
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noroibito on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:27 pm

clown You don't like us much then hmm? Razz Not much of a pleasure.
Noroibito
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Aw, whatever makes you think that? I just get a lot more pleasure out of watching other people have "eureka!" moments than I do out of telling people the answers. Razz Twisted Evil

...Which, I admit, probably looks a lot like schadenfreude from outside.

Anyway... in accordance with yesterday's promise to reveal the solution today, anyone who wants to give up can PM me for an explanation.
Andre
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sue_Fishnet on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Ok, let's see:

' I have produced a number of statements which each can be either true or false'
If that statement is false, then all other statements have to be true (because of the next statement 'one of them is false and the others are true, meaning there can only be one false statement)
Is it? Smile
Also. I have some problems with phrasing: [...can be either true or false] is different to [is] true or false which implies dependence on some factor. Saying [The conditions of this game are simple] could in a way be a trap, since you have only established the statements without making an inquiry of the reader such as [Which statement is false], thus creating a confusion as to what those conditions actually are. Furthermore, the title of the game could in itself be a lie by stating that there are only three truths and one lie, but since the the total of your statements is greater than four the title cannot be realistic (but it is not clear whether the title is part of the game or not)

I sincerely thank you for this wee mind trip, it was truly delicious cat
Sue_Fishnet
Not a Player

Liar Game Skill : Patience

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:54 pm

The conditions of this game are simple.

LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, I'd guess 3, because that's impossible, but then someone actually got that wrong. Oh, by the way, I'd have to say this: that there is only one lie and three truths. Truth be told (did you see the pun), I'd have to say all of them are a lie.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:58 am

Sue_Fishnet wins. Smile

Spoiler:
Taking the statements individually:
Seeing as this is a sub-forum for introducing myself to you all, and this is the Liar Game, I thought it might be amusing to introduce myself by way of a game you may have heard of called "Three truths and a lie".

This is the only place where I specified the number of statements that are part of the game, and it implies four statements. My original post contains three statements that are numbered; and the total number of statements in the post is eight, so either way, "three truths and a lie" is not an accurate description of the game!

As stated in the second paragraph, all the other statements are true:
- I really have only read two manga: Liar Game and Death Note. (I was introduced to Death Note via the anime, and I've seen a lot more anime than I've read manga...)
- Any given statement on my profile page may or may not be true.
- As for the tricky one about hacking... this is in fact the case, but it's not something I could ever pull off again; the "restricted area of a government network" was my school district's personnel and student files, and the station I was on had special properties on the network. The hack wouldn't have worked on a computer without all of the same properties.
Andre
Not a Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Noroibito on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 am

pirat Well going there! Had me fooled. study
Noroibito
Not a Player

View user profile